Elive is a complete operating system for your computer. It is the perfect choice for replacing your proprietary, high-cost system. It is built on top of Debian GNU/Linux and customized to meet your needs for a complete operating system while still offering the user eye-candy, with minimal hardware requirements.
Turn your old computer into a high-powered work-station with an Interface that will dazzle anyone who sees it. This is Elive's goal.
Elive comes with a full suite of applications for either work or leisure. It offers everything from a full Office suite to games and Multimedia. You can enjoy watching movies to making your own. Creating DVD movies with custom menus and theme music can easily be accomplished by using the included real-time non-linear video editor. Elive gives you the ability to make 3D animations, edit and manipulate audio and image files for better quality, effects, or design. And to round it all up, Elive has centralized settings and configurations in its own Control Panel called Elpanel.
Elive is a very stable system that will continue to run day after day without problems. The Enlightenment desktop is ultra-fast and perfectly stable with no random errors or surprises. There are no viruses, trojans, spyware, adware, or any similar nuisance. Elive is a secure and serious system.
Elive uses Open Source Software. This means, among other things, that you have access to the source code of the programs as well as the permissions to modify and adapt them to your personal needs with perfect legality.
Elive is made with and for pleasure. Things designed with pleasure are worlds better than the things designed due to a workers obligation.
Elive is not made for newbies. Elive is not made for experienced people. Elive is not made for enterprises or personal user. Elive is art. It is simply for the people who appreciate it and want to use it. Feel free to try Elive, because only you decide what you want in this world!
* General Features
* Windows: Your Windows partitions are now recognized on /mnt like windows_c, windows_d, etc... instead of hda, hdb, etc...
* Graphical Grub: A very nice graphical Grub boot menu selector
* Webcams: When you plug in a webcam, a webcam viewer is launched if it's supported, you can play with special effects and you can scare your friends in aMSN
* The Elive User Guide added to your Documents directory, (not finished but useful)
* aMSN: in the last version, more webcams supported, looks a lot better, aliased fonts, better skin, etc...
* Applications: All applications renamed and re-ordered to be more intuitive for the end-user
* 7z: Elive now supports .7z (7zip) compressed files, in other words... open it directly :).
* Fonts! a set of 20 misc TTF fonts has been added to Elive by default for the user to play with and use on the themes and look'n'feel.
* GTK Icons Theme selector In the GTK configurator of Elpanel, you now have an icons theme selector, Thanks LinuxNIT for coding this nice application.
* Firefox 2: Now called iceweasel is fully implemented, remember that thunderbird is now called icedove too
* Flash 9: Supported
* Enlightenment Related Features
* Entrance Themes: Both themes (Elive and Night look's), were revamped and enhanced for a better look
* Enlightenment: Disabled the flip desktops when mouse is at screen edge feature by default because it confuses the less-experienced users, you can enable it from the enlightenment configuration menu (e16 and e17).
* Hotkeys: A lot of hotkeys were added and also for some multimedia keyboards. You can find a good list of HotKeys that will enhance your Elive experience in your Documents directory
* Night look: New background like this video, very nice for use on dual or more monitors.
* Installer Features
* Swap File: Added a system to make Swap files if the memory is less than 128 Mb, only for FAT filesystems (Patches for ntfs-3g welcome)
* Installer: Better and more correct fine-tuned system (post-install), launched from the graphical system when user logs in
* Languages in the installer: Added thanks to the translator collaborations (soon more things available to translate)
* Boot menu: 'Vista' detected and added in the boot menu after the installation
* Boot menu: A much better list of other OS's
* Select manual partitions when the installer asks you for your desired partitions, you can enter it manually now, even ones not included on the list
* JFS support: You have a new FileSystem of choice, JFS, a great filesystem that many users love.
* Extra Help: Now you have a extra help in the installer, which is perfect for the non-experienced users...explaining how to partition the hard disk better etc... Translators needed here
* Installer Features: If you have broken the grub on your MBR thanks to windows, the installer autodetects it and ask you to recover the one from your Elive system instead of installing again. So, if you want to recover the grub for any reason, just launch the installer from root like: eliveinstaller recover my grub please
* Hardware support
* Kernel 2.6.18:
o CK patches: Those patches make the priority of and the memory between process work much better.
o 1000 Hz: Better for desktop usage, better reply of the applications
o Realtime usage: This is especially good for musical compositors
o Low Latency mode: Applications don't have lag if you load your system with many processes.
o Kqemu added: The kernel accelerator module for qemu is added in Elive by default thanks to the permission of the author
* Epson Scanner: A new Scanner application for some Epson scanners
* iPod: Supported in the better way
* Swiss keyboards: Supported in the configurator of Elpanel, for french and german variants
* Resolution 1440x900 Added
* DV Video Camera: Permission enabled to use kino with your cam-recorder for a normal user.
* Bugs fixed
* NTFS and FAT32: Everybody can write, read, and modify, you can do anything
* Entrance: The no-login problem that some users have experienced when they try to login on entrance and don't enter a wrong password. Fixed
* DVD autolaunchement: Oxine didn't play DVD's. Fixed
* Autolaunchers: not all the USB cards, SMC or SD cards are autolaunched. Fixed
* Gimp can't print. Fixed
* Burners: not possible to make an image of a DVD. Fixed
* Gparted: hang due to the module floppy. Fixed
* Gimp: not launching and freezing on the step xsane. Fixed
* Usb sticks: problem of the very slow speed in transfer of archives. Fixed
* Audio CDs: just some Audio CD's work. Fixed
* Mplayer: Zoom, Fullscreen, and Play, doesn't work Fixed
* More: Many more bugs were fixed and things made better...not listed here, but you can explore all the bugs in the BTS of Elive
* More things
* CDROM ejects when closing the liveCD system
* Anti War: Section 'Anti War' of the bookmarks of Elive removed due to misc reasons, if you want it, see it in the Revolution version of Elive
* Cinelerra updated: With some fixes and new hotkeys added (up/down - left/right in compositor/viewer), list of hotkeys
* More: A lot more of features and minor things, not listed here